- K&N PRO SERIES
- WHELEN MODIFIED TOURS
- WHELEN ALL-AMERICAN SERIES
- FIND YOUR HOME TRACK
Birth date: February 13, 1993
Hometown: Winchester, Va.
Residence: Mooresville, N.C.
Sergio Pena, 16, is ready to take on the challenge of the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East. Last season, Pena made a move towards NASCAR, making his debut in late models at Shenandoah (Va.) Speedway. Now Pena is driving in the K&N Pro Series East for Revolution Racing.
He made his NASCAR K&N Pro Series debut at the 2010 Toyota All-Star Showdown, where he won the pole and finished second to NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Joey Logano.
Pena, a high school junior at Davidson (N.C.) Day School, is no stranger to racing. He’s been competing since he was eight years old. After winning multiple championships at the go-kart level, he made the jump to the Formula TR Pro 1600 Series at age 13. Pena was on track to pursue a career as a Formula One driver, winning seven of his first 10 races.
Rule changes and operating costs prevented Pena from making the jump to the Formula BMW Series in 2008, and led him to consider making the transition to NASCAR. That summer, Pena began testing late models and super trucks in preparation for a full season of racing in 2009.
As a rookie at Shenandoah Speedway last season, Pena won six of 11 races. He also competed in NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model races at Motor Mile Speedway in Radford, Va.
Off the track, Pena enjoys playing basketball – he was a shooting guard on the JV and Varsity basketball teams at James Wood High School (Winchester, Va.) before relocating to North Carolina. Pena is also focused on finishing high school and enjoys riding dirt bikes and spending time with family and friends.
• Rookie season in the late model division at Shenandoah Speedway in 2009; scored six wins at the quarter‐mile speedway before moving to Motor Mile Speedway mid‐way through the season.
• In 2008, competed in the Bill Scott Formula Car road racing series at Summit Point in formula continental wing cars; won every race entered.
• Finished second overall in the Formula TR Series standings in 2007; set seven track records and won 11 of 20 races.
• Competed in various WKA karting series from 2003 ‐ 2006; won several regional and national championships and won races in every class competed.