- K&N PRO
- WHELEN MODIFIED
- WHELEN ALL-AMERICAN
- YOUR HOME TRACK
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour heads to South Boston Speedway for the second time this season for Saturday’s South Boston 150. Below is a statistical look at the performance of selected drivers at the track:
South Boston 150 Setup:
• Andy Seuss is the only three-time winner in NWSMT competition at South Boston Speedway, including the first race held there in 2009.
• George Brunnhoelzl III, James Civali and Kyle Ebersole are previous race winners at South Boston currently entered in this weekend’s race.
• Newcomer Lauren Edgerton will both make her first career starts at South Boston this Saturday.
At South Boston Speedway:
• South Boston Speedway opened in 1957. The facility is owned by the Mattioli family, which also owns and operates Pocono Raceway.
• South Boston features weekly NASCAR Whelen All-American Series action on Saturday nights during the racing season, headlined by the late model division.
• The track held 10 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races between 1960-71, 35 NASCAR XFINITY Series events from 1982-2000, three NASCAR Camping World Truck Series dates from 2001-03 and five NASCAR K&N Pro Series East contests from 2007-11.
• South Boston held the 2001 season opener for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, an event won by Jerry Marquis. It marked the only event to-date for the northeastern-based tour at South Boston.
• The first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race at South Boston was contested on April 4, 2009 and won by Seuss.
• There have been seven different winners in the nine previous NWSMT races at South Boston.
• Seven different drivers have earned Coors Light Pole Awards at South Boston since the first race in 2009. George Brunnhoelzl III and Danny Bohn are the only active drivers with two.
• Brunnhoelzl, Jason Myers and Seuss are the only drivers to compete in all 10 previous NWSMT events at South Boston.
• Brunnhoelzl is the only driver to win in wire-to-wire fashion at South Boston, on April 13, 2013.
• Seuss was the youngest South Boston race winner at 22 years, 20 days on April 4, 2009.
• Ted Christopher was the oldest South Boston victor at 52 years, 10 months, 12 days on April 17, 2011.
South Boston Speedway Data
Season Race #: 9 of 11 overall, 2 of 2 at South Boston
Track Layout: .4-mile asphalt oval
Banking/Turns: 12 degrees
Banking/Straights: 10 degrees
Race Length: 150 laps / 60 miles
2015 Pole Winner: Andy Seuss
2015 Race Winner: Bobby Measmer Jr.
Track Qualifying Record: L.W. Miller, Chevrolet, 14.466 seconds, 99.544 mph, April 14, 2012
Active Category Leaders at South Boston:
1. Andy Seuss … 3
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 2
3. six drivers with … 1
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 2
Danny Bohn … 2
3. five drivers with … 1
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 7
Andy Seuss … 7
3. Danny Bohn … 4
Burt Myers … 4
1. Burt Myers … 9
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 8
Jason Myers … 8
1. Andy Seuss … 435
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 388
3. Ryan Preece … 159
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 1,437
2. Andy Seuss … 1,396
3. Burt Myers … 1,360
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 10
Jason Myers … 10
Andy Seuss … 10
Selected Driver Highlights:
Danny Bohn (No. 40 Dunleavy’s Truck & Trailer Repair/William Smith Trucking Chevrolet)
• The New Jersey native has four wins, seven poles, 24 top-five and 39 top-10 finishes in 48 career starts.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final standings each year from 2012-14 and competed part-time last year.
• Returns to full-time competition this season with Frank and Chris Fleming.
• In seven starts at South Boston he has two poles, four top-five and five top-10 finishes.
Kyle Bonsignore (No. 22 Snap-On Tools Chevrolet)
• Has made 10 career NWSMT starts with his one top-five and six top-10 finishes.
• Collected his first career top-five finish on the southern tour in April at South Boston.
• One of two Sunoco Rookie of the Year contenders this season in the NWSMT.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Dunleavy’s Truck & Trailer Repair/Comp. Tech. Chevrolet)
• Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
• Has 27 wins, 26 poles, 55 podiums, 71 top fives, 87 top 10s and 3,602 laps led in 111 career starts.
• Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
• Has recorded at least one win every year he has competed full-time on the NWSMT since 2008.
• Competed in the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010.
• Has two wins, one win from the pole (2013), at South Boston with seven top-five finishes in 10 starts.
Jeremy Gerstner (No. 15 GMR Lawncare/Carriage House Restaurant Chevrolet)
• Competing fulltime this season for modified veteran car owner Grady Jeffreys Sr.
• Has scored two top-five, 12 top 10s in 32 career starts with a best finish of third at Bowman Gray in 2015.
• Has one top-five and two top-10 finishes in four starts at South Boston, finishing fifth last September.
Trey Hutchens III (No. 14 All Star Truck & Trailer Repair Chevrolet)
• He has five top-10 finishes in 12 career starts, with two coming at South Boston.
• Has made 24 career starts in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East with three top-10 finishes (seventh at Richmond in 2015, 10th at Iowa in 2015 and eighth at Dover in 2013).
• Has two top-10 finishes in as many starts with a best finish eighth South Boston in April 2015.
Bobby Measmer Jr. (No. 74 Lead 2 Real Estate Chevrolet)
• The Concord, N.C., driver has one pole (South Boston, 2015), eight top-five and 18 top-10 finishes in 32 career starts.
• Has made five previous starts at South Boston, winning his first career pole and a highest finish of third in this race last September.
• Enters this weekend coming off of his first southern tour win at East Carolina Motor Speedway last Sunday.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Remington SCT/Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction Ford)
• The 2010 NWSMT champion has 19 wins, a tour record 30 poles, 75 top fives and 114 top 10s in 136 career starts.
• Finished third in the final standings last season with four wins, nine top fives and 12 top 10s in 14 races.
• Has four top fives and nine top 10s in nine career South Boston starts.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adams Towing/Moorefield Enterprises Ford)
• Has recorded three wins, 47 top fives and 105 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 140 career starts. Has competed in all but one race (2005-Martinsville Speedway) in the tour’s previous 11 seasons.
• Finished 2015 a career-best third place in the final standings as the only driver to finish in the top 10 in every race all season.
• Has eight top 10s, with four seventh-place finishes in 10 previous races at South Boston.
Gary Putnam (No. 77 Curb Records Chevrolet)
• Has 30 top 10s in 62 career starts with a career best finish of fifth at Caraway in 2013.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final 2015 standings with six top 10s in 10 races, equaling his career-best showing of eighth place in 2014.
• Works full-time at Chip Ganassi Racing in Concord.
• Has four top 10s and an average finish of 11th in eight career starts at South Boston. Recorded his best finish to date at South Boston in the spring with a sixth-place showing.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Davis Roofing/Vestal Buick GMC Chevrolet)
• Has 22 wins, 12 poles, 69 top fives and 90 top 10s in 112 career NWSMT starts. His 22 wins rank second all-time.
• Finished first in the championship standings last season with a pair of wins at Caraway and one at South Boston. He had 12 top fives and was the only driver to finish in the top 10 in all 14 races.
• Is the only three-time winner at South Boston. In addition to his wins, he has seven top fives with an average finish of sixth at the track.
• Joins George Brunnhoelzl III and Jason Myers as the only drivers to start all previous 10 NWSMT races at South Boston.
Up To Speed:
• Burt Myers made a late pass around Danny Bohn to pick up the season-opening win and 17th overall in his career in the southern tour.
• George Brunnhoelzl III made a late pass by Ted Christopher to add to his record-setting number of wins on the tour with his first victory of the year and 26th overall.
• Brunnhoelzl III won back-to-back races on the schedule for the seventh time in his career after taking the checkered flag in the South Boston 150.
• Burt Myers held off his brother Jason is winning the Dogwood 150 in the most recent race on the tour at Caraway in April. First time in his career he’s picked up two wins before the annual spring break.
• Andy Seuss picked up his first win of the season at Caraway Speedway. The two-time defending tour champion now has 12 wins at the track.
• Burt Myers held off his brother Jason to score his second career tour win at Bowman Gray Stadium and score his third win overall on the season.
• Kyle Ebersole finished just ahead of Andy Seuss in the NWMT/NWSMT combination race at Bristol to be the top placing southern tour regular which credits him with his third career win on the tour.
• Bobby Measmer Jr. passed Jeremy Gerstner with 20 laps to go in the inaugural race held at East Carolina Motor Speedway for his first NWSMT win.